2024 RUN STATS
Engine Squad Ambulance
JAN 122 0 10
FEB 113 0 19
MAR
APR
MAY
JUNE
JULY
AUG
SEP
OCT
NOV
DEC
Total 235 0 29

2024 Fire STATS
Box Assignmemts Working Fires
Jan 11 4
Feb 11 3
Mar
Apr
May
June
July
Aug
Sept
Oct
Nov
Dec
Total 22 7

PRIOR YEARS
FIRE EMS Total
2017 1286 1667 2963
2018 1321 1586 2907
2019 1190 1610 2800
2020 1255 1468 2773
2021 1297 1695 2992
2022 1416 1852 3268
2023 1383 1698 3081

Web Counters
Website Visitors
Since
March 13, 2008
2,170,805
Visitors Today
Mar 02, 2024
185

Never Forget
History of the Ladies Auxiliary
of the Orchard Beach Volunteer Fire Department
 

The Ladies Auxiliary of the Orchard Beach Volunteer Fire Department was organized on October 2, 1936 by Mrs. Maude Eades and Mrs. Frances Morgan.  The first meeting was called to order at 8:30pm on October 5th of that year.  The first business to be taken care of was the election of officers.  The results were as follows:

President:  Mrs. Maude Eades,  Vice President: Mrs. Charles Squires, Treasurer:  Mrs. M Gunther, Secretary: Mrs. Mary Summers

Dues were 10 cents and the membership limit was 70 members with a waiting list.  It was decided to hold card parties after each Monday night meeting, and a “Stingy Box” was set up for the ladies to seet some money aside to be used for social events.   At the November 1936 meeting, a motion was made to hold a raffle on a ton of coal which netted a profit of $4.  The Ladies also held raffles on permanent waves (a perm) for 2 cents a chance,  a rod and reel, and even a boat! 

In 1938, the Auxiliary joined the Anne Arundel County Firemens association, and the next year, in 1939, joined the Maryland State Firemens Association.

In 1954 a motion was made to have uniforms made for the ladies to wear when they marched in parades.  The uniform would be a  white skirt and blouse, accented by a blue cape with gold trim, and an overseas hat.  A fund to purchase these uniforms was established and the marching unit won many trophies and cash prizes while travelling long distances to appear in parades.   

In addition to all the bingos and raffles, public dinners were held by the auxiliary.  The ladies would meet to prepare food for the dinners, and as only fresh vegetables, meat and poultry were used, many hours of work were spent getting to know each other.  The crab cake dinners were a local favorite and attended by many.  Other fundraisers included a trip to Gunthers Brewery, and selling vanilla extract and baking soda to housewives in the community.

Through the efforts of the Auxiliary, the ladies were able to help raise funds for an addition to the firehouse on Hilltop Road and the purchase of 3 lots across from the firehouse on Seabreeze drive for only $2,000.  This would be the location of the new hall which still, to this day, stands as a community center for the town of Orchard Beach.  In 1986, the Auxiliary celebrated our 50th anniversary by honoring Mrs. Mary Eades who was a charter member and still quite active.

In 1988, when the station was moved from the Hilltop Road location to the Solley Road location, the decision was made to hold a weekly bingo in the new hall.  Over the past twenty years, this has proven to be our most reliable fundraiser and we’ve been able to provide substantial sums of money to the fire department to aid in the purchase of equipment and apparatus. 

Though we were established 73 years ago, our passion for the community and for our firefighters still runs as strong as the day we were created. 

 

 

 

Website Designed and Hosted By: Content Proudly Maintained By: Contact Info:
Firehouse Solutions
www.FirehouseSolutions.com
Orchard Beach Volunteer Fire Department, Inc.
7549 Solley Road
Glen Burnie, MD 21060

Emergency Dial 911
Station: 410-255-1505
Hall: 410-437-3496
E-mail: info@orchardbeachvfd.com
Copyright © 2024 Firehouse Solutions (A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc.)